In honor of Women's (History) Month and the recently passed, International Women's Day, I want to discuss mental health and women. Most women juggle various roles in their family, community, career, and personal life. It is hard to find a balance between all of these responsibilities. On top of that, we have to strategically cultivate different relationships whether it be with our partners, children, or friends.
Our mental health is influenced by other factors such as hormones, life stages, and of course, stress. As leaders, which most of us are through our various responsibilities, we must find ways to take care of our mental and emotional space just as much as we do for our bodies. It is imperative that we watch what we eat (high sugar and high caffeine are not our friends), move our bodies (through dancing, walking, exercise, yoga, etc.), and get rest. Lack of rest and proper nutrition will definitely agitate your mental health. As always, I like to give tips on how to combat some of these issues. These tips are for men, women, and children...whoever needs them!
To help maintain your mental health, consider:
- Exercising regularly. (Move that body!💃🏿)
- Practicing mindfulness. (Live in the moment...this moment. Stop reading, take in your environment right now, and take 3 deep breaths.🧘🏿♀️).
- Getting at least seven (7) hours of sleep each night. (Get some rest!)
- Expressing gratitude for things and people in your life. (Write down 5 things that you are thankful for today!✍🏿)
- Saying positive things about yourself and others. (Even when it seems negative, find the positive. Remember, all things happen for your highest good.😎)
- Making new friends and connections. (Online friends count, too!🤝🏿)
- Participating in activities you enjoy. (What do you like to do? Start doing more of that! 🛀🏿🤹🏿♀️💆🏿♀️)
Remember, you got this!